Sunday, June 7, 2009

To market to market, to buy a fat pig....

The St. Lawrence Market

I have these two cute friends, M & J. They spend their Saturday mornings at the St. Lawrence Market. Yesterday in the warm sunshine under the blue sky, I tagged along with M to check out their wholesome routine.


The St. Lawrence Market is really neat; a hustling, bustling, hub of deliciousness and constant activity in one of Toronto's historic districts located close to the waterfront. Sigh, que romantica! Did you know that the main building was Toronto's first City Hall?

Now it's home to over 100 vendors, and you can find everything from fresh produce to handmade soap, and over 1o different kinds of home-made hummus! I'm so hooked on the latter that I never want to purchase store bought hummus again!

You can even throw in lunch while you're at the market. M's lunch included a peameal bacon sandwich, for which there was a big line-up! She said that it was really good and that "it had a lot of peameal bacon, but the bread could have been better." She's one of those "people who prefers European fresh bread to Canadian bread". Agreed...who would not choose baguette over Wonderbread?



Other highlights included:
  • Browsing the fresh produce section of the farmer's market where I indulged in Ontario-grown bunches of asparagus. It opens at 5 am and closes early so if you're a late riser, like myself, you might want to make an effort and get out early.
  • Scanning the artisan crafts for birthday gifts for our friend J. We both picked up handmade cards with Ontario & Toronto-inspired photographs from one artist's stall. (J appreciated our cards).



  • The Sausage King! If you know my habits well, you know that I love meat. I struggle daily with my love for meat, often wanting to adopt the more socially conscious, responsible, and healthier lifestyle of the vegetarian. I eat veggie food all the time. Sometimes I buy 'green' meat products and feel better about not injecting my body with antibiotics, and being spiritually affected by poor farming practices. But, bottom line is I love meat, and even more so, I love sausages. Yum Yum and Yum. The Sausage King boasts fresh, all natural sausage meat from local small farms, so I had to take the plunge. I bought lamb sausages spiced with coriander and turkey sausages and am really excited to cook them up today!


  • T'was a fun, delicious and wholesome way to spend a sunny day with friends. I encourage you to bring visitors to the city there. I guarantee that you'll be dancing your way home again home again, jiggidy-jig.

    S.

    1 comment:

    j. said...

    Indeed, I did love the cards! Along with your wonderful company of course. On top of that, I have been mentioned in the butgooddifferent blog! Very exciting.