Sunday, June 7, 2009

Eat Eat! You're skin and bones



Brunch at Aunties and Uncles



Sorry kids, I forgot my camera when I went out to brunch last week (Sorry...but you try snapping pictures of everything you do. It's not easy). So I will make this review short, because I know while words are sweet and all, a picture requires way less effort for the reader. ;)


Brunch place Aunties and Uncles, on Lippincott St. near College and Bathurst, was voted best brunch in the city by readers of blogTO, so I thought I'd give it a try. (And apparently Sook Yin Lee is a big fan, and you know me and brunch-time celebrity sightings) Everyone said I'd have to wait forever for a table because A&U only opens from 9am-3pm, the space is relatively small, they don't take reservations, and it was a lovely day last Saturday, but it actually wasn't that bad. I got there at 1 or so, and we only waited about 20 min, which really isn't that long.


Again, this place was quite the scene. I saw lots of pretty young hip kids, including several blasé girls in short cutoff jean shorts (apparently that's the new in thing??). We were given a table inside beside the kitchen where we were surrounded by kitchy art and books about the Beatles. It was cute, lots of stuff to look at. The outside patio looked really nice too, but alas there were too many people!


The menu was one page long, with lots of really delicious looking options including breakfast sandwiches, waffles, eggs, and french toast. My friend J and I decided to share two items: the breakfast tacos with meat, cheddar, and cilantro sour cream served with hash browns, and the daily special cubano sandwich with spiced pork, avocado, and swiss cheese and dill potato salad. I got some black coffee and she got apple cider.


We had to wait a bit for the food to come, but it was well worth the wait (and the kitchen was pretty small, so I can see why). The food was really delicious and the portions were large. The tacos were messy to eat but tasty, served on soft corn tortillas. The cubana sandwich was served on a focaccia bun and had lots of chunky avocado and thick slabs of pork and the right amount of sauce. You could choose between hash browns, mixed greens, and potato salad, so we went for the two potato options. The hash browns were rustic chunks of white and sweet potatoes nicely charred in places, and the potato salad was tossed in a dill and mustard dressing that wasn't too heavy. The food had just enough grease to feel like a tasty brunch, but not so much that it was overly decadent.


The bill came out to only $23 for the two of us!


Aunties and Uncles gets three and a half cheek pinches out of four.






e

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Yay brunch! :) 'Twas fun. Need to do it again soon.