Friday, February 13, 2009

Two nights on the town, and was it even worth it?

Tonight E and I are going out. Out-out. That's right. By that I mean taking a shower, maybe blow-drying my hair and going to a venue where I pay at the door to have access to a space which is supposed to have something great inside to offer me.

I rarely go 'out out'. But the thing is, I've got free time, money to spend, and an inkling to meet new people these days, or let's be honest; new men. Besides, I'm much too young to be a 26-going-on-53 home body just yet, so let's start making an effort already.

And an effort I have been making. Last weekend, in fact, I was quite the socialite. I went out on both Friday and Saturday to two venues where you pay cover. I never go clubbing anymore. And every time that I do go, I remember all the reasons why.

On Friday I went to C Lounge on Wellington. Why? Because my friend was going for someone's birthday and since I wanted to fully embrace the new social me I decided to tag along. I asked E what the deal was with C Lounge and she said it was for high rollers. So, it's basically a classy and cleaner alternative to the clubbing district, and the website boasts "dangerously hip".

Fair enough, but once there I still didn't quite understand the appeal. It looked like a regular club, nothing fancy apart from the swanky bathrooms. And because I usually feel inadequate in expensive clubs, I did it right this time; I got really dressed up, and even straightened my hair (I NEVER straighten my hair).

But what for? To get there at midnight, pay $10 entrance and throw down three $8 drinks just to leave two hours later without a new friend by my side and dance to music that was definitely fun, but that I could have heard anywhere and paid less for. Also, the men in these clubs just don't do it for me; with their gelled hair, blue jeans, leather shoes and pin-stripped collar shirts.... I came home happy to have hung out with my friend, but unimpressed and looking forward to Saturday night's line up.

Saturday's equally expensive evening was on Queen West, which I already thought would be better given that it was across the street from Cadillac Lounge and I generally enjoy Queen West (minus the nonchalant scenesters). Stone's Place is known to have some pretty cool nights including its popular queer 'Big Primipin' night, so I thought that it actually might have been a good option for a friend's birthday, because she was looking for a night of dancing to soul, funk and fun music like that which I also love to dance too.

However, that's not quite what Stone's Place had to offer on a Saturday night. First of all, you could not move an inch, so dancing was out of the question and body odour was rampant. They were definitely over capacity. And apart from my immediate company, I felt completely out of place. The crowd was younger, and I was one of the only non white people there. There were lots of young girls with blonde hair wearing those dresses and boots singing songs like Sweet Home Alabama...you know that 'rock' line-up that's played at clubs like Montana and Grace O'Malley's (when their live band has stopped playing) in the entertainment district. To borrow an opinion from a friend, it was like the Maddy but everyone had just graduated from college...Or better yet, it looked like a album off of my younger sweet cousin's Facebook profile, who happens to go to school at Western in London, Ontario. Okay, not totally jocks and frat boys (it was after all Queen West) but you know, close enough.

Two disagreeable venues and a good $70 later, I'm going 'out out' again tonight. Walking over to Andy Poolhall, which to be honest I'm a fan of because you pay only $5 to play pool, and dance to fun music with a more laid back fun crowd.

I'll let you know how it goes, but right now I've got to shower and blow-dry my hair.

S.

No comments: