Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm not a groupie, I swear

So there we were, outside the Drake, looking for somewhere for my friend to eat before the show. We saw a little Vietnamese restaurant a couple doors down, a Subway, and a Pizza Pizza. She was leaning towards the pizza, but I wanted to check out Saigon Flower’s menu for something small to munch on. So we paused to examine the menu outside the restaurant when K gasped and said “isn’t that…?” and I looked up, and who do I see staring back at me but Chris Chu in the window at a table with his band, the morning benders? For a split second I thought he was a friend who recognized me and I was going to smile and wave, until I processed the scene and realized that while I knew who he was, he had no idea who I was. So I refrained. But I begged K to go in so I could meet the band, just like I wanted!

So she agreed, and we went in and sat at a table close to the boys. There was hardly anyone else there, and I thought of all the ways I could casually pass by and say hello. I didn’t want to say hi and then awkwardly go back to my table and eat, so I had to do it when we left or when they left. I'm a giant dork. So we finally finished our meal, and I was all ready. I would non-chalantly walk by on our way out and say “Hey guys. I really love your album” and then they would say thanks, blah blah blah, and depending on how it went, I’d end with “have a great show, I’m gonna go and try to get a good spot”, flash a winning smile, and leave. And hopefully they’d invite us backstage. Or invite me to join the band. Or say thanks…

But alas, my heart was thumping, I over thought it, and I walked out without so much as a glance in their direction. So that was my missed opportunity. But it does get better. But first, the show.

The Submarines were first up, and K and I inched our way right up in front of the stage. Singer/guitarist/xylophonist Blake Hazard was losing her voice, but she had just enough juice left to deliver a highly entertaining and energetic set. She was adorable in her white country-bumpkin dress, pigtail braids, and cowboy-inspired boots. Her vocals were earnest and sweet, and her between-song banter was cute and ingratiating, from “I love Toronto! You have cute road signs” to “Family day? That’s f*#@in awesome!”. She charmed the pants off the audience. The music was upbeat, flowers decorated the stage, and they played all their familiar songs. Guitarist/singer John Dragonetti kept the pace lively and added complimenting vocals. All in all it was a great set, and Blake headed over to the merch table after where she chatted with fans and signed autographs.

I got a spot right up front for the morning benders as well. The boys set up fairly quickly and started their set with “Patient, Patient”. The album is largely acoustic-driven, but the boys wielded electric guitars for their live set, with some piano here and there. Three of the four wore plaid shirts, they all wore skinny jeans and beat up converse sneakers, and Chris had his guitar strapped high, maintaining their lanky and youthful appearance. While the songs had a harder, more rock and roll edge compared to the album, Chris’ vocals were consistent, and the Beach Boys-inspired harmonies helped keep their sound fresh and inviting. The songs were energetic and danceable, though they all ended with ‘freak out’ guitar solos at the end, at times causing the guitarists to head bang and fall to the floor. But in a cute way, because they all look like little boys. Chris also had some “I love Toronto” words to say, asking about Tim Hortons (“There’s a lot of them. Should I go there? Ok cool”) and inviting the audience to sing and dance along. They threw in a few new songs into the set, and ended off with the single “Waiting for a War”.

The boys headed straight over to sell their swag, and I took the opportunity to finally meet them. I picked up the 7” “Waiting for a War” and asked Chris to sign it, which he did, and then passed to drummer Julian, who also signed. Then I looked up, smiled at Chris, and then said “you guys are awesome” in an embarrassingly awkward way, and he smiled and said thanks. And I turned and walked away. And that was that.

e

No comments: