Sunday, June 27, 2010

Toronto the Riotous

I had plans this weekend!

I had tickets to see Thao and Mirah at the Horseshoe Tavern Saturday night. I wasn't sure how I'd get to the city from the 'burbs, but by golly I was gonna try.

Saturday morning, I was monitoring the traffic situation. Then, by afternoon, traffic was no longer the issue.

Seriously Toronto? You throw a rock at a local Starbucks and the world is supposed to sit up and realize corporate industry isn't the answer? No one even heard any of the other protests - peaceful people who had planned important things to say.

By 7pm, I still had a little hope. Thao's Twitter feed said:

Thaogetstaydown: TORONTO! we know there are riots and fires and very serious looking police but we are still playing the show. G-21 summit. COME ON DOWN.

Then CP24 showed the 4th burning police cruiser, flames visible in front of Steven's Music Store, across the street from the Horseshoe Tavern. So I checked Thao's twitter again:


Thaogetstaydown: ACTUALLY they just set another car on fire outside the venue so stay tuned.


Thaogetstaydown: Toronto Show cancelled. thanks to all who might have come but we don't want you to be set on fire.


Thaogetstaydown: see you another time when wealth is more equally distributed.

So Saturday was a write-off.

Still monitoring Sunday. Police seem to be asserting their expensive presence today. Since they let violent black-clads rampage the city yesterday untouched, they decided to make up for it by arresting peaceful protesters having sit-ins today.

I know I am far from being seriously affected by the riots and protests. But I had plans for Saturday night.

e

No comments: