Monday, September 14, 2009

TIFF, Chloe & the A-list

I've lived here for three years and haven't been to a TIFF film until this year. The reason why I've strayed from Toronto's most famous festival is because I find it difficult to navigate (tickets, screenings, pricing etc.). This year I got lucky when a friend of mine, who was offered two special tickets the world premiere of Atom Egoyan's Chloe and the after-party, asked me to be her date!

(Picture right courtesy of http://amanda-seyfried.us/photos/thumbnails.php?album=144)

I spent 24 hours in distress as to what to wear, paraded 4 different dresses for some very patient friends, and ended up literally last minute -on the day of- buying an entire new outfit. Not on purpose; I went looking for a nice dress shirt and came out with nice black linen pants too. My outfit worked; understated, chic and unique (I really do hate looking like everyone else- I could have bought those 80's inspired umpire waist sleeveless dresses...but I decided against it). Cocktail dresses- so not my thing.

(Atom Egoyan, Julianne Moore, Amanda Seyfried, Erin Cressida Wilson, Ivan Rietman, David Miller introducing the film)

The movie screened at Roy Thompson Hall, which was all aglow in its grandeur. The entrance to the movie quite a distance from the screaming fans and flashing lights of the "red carpet" so I'm afraid I missed it. But I flashed my ticket, by-passed the line, and headed up to the Mezzanine level which ended up being right next to where the director, producer and actors were sitting! How bizarre to come out of gazing intently at a haunting and often nude Amanda Seyfried to seeing her sitting a few seats away from you in the flesh, smiling in a pretty black sequined dress (see below!). The movie itself is moving, sexy, haunting and kept me at the edge of my seat. Julianne Moore and Seyfried's onscreen chemistry was very believable, and the heart ache experienced by Moore's character was palpable. I had a new-found respect for the young Seyfried as I'd only seen her lighter, comedic roles like Mean Girls and Mamma Mia. Atom Egoyan showcases Toronto landmarks from Cafe Diplomatico in Little Italy to one of Toronto's oldest parks, Allan Gardens. The scenes were unique in texture, colour and lighting. Toronto looked amazing; it's so exciting to see Toronto high-lighted in a movie and this appreciation was shared by both Mayor David Miller and producer Ivan Reitman , who happens to be a Toronto native.

The after-party took place on the roof of a four-story parking lot in Yorkville (see above). The entrance was pretty hard to find. An Entertainment Tonight staff member took us up to the roof in a golf cart, where we were greeted by a red carpet, Entertainment Tonight interviews with the cast and director, white tents and delicious drinks. The view of Toronto and Yorkville was fabulous and it all felt pretty glamorous. I kind of love it when this casual city gets dressed. I took some basic pictures, but couldn't bring myself to take pictures when we passed the rope to the VIP section and stood feet away from the cast after meeting the director. Might I say Julianne Moore is even more beautiful in real life. Amanda Seyfried embodied much the demeanor of a young star at her age- looking distracted, text messaging, and tended to by an entourage that ran 10 people deep. And she even left early! It was Sunday evening after all, and the party didn't last all night long, plus I'm sure she had more important places to be.

People were awesome- it was great to be able to discuss the film firsthand with strangers. Everyone was incredibly friendly and sociable, and very little pomp and circumstance presented itself. Yay TIFF! And might I add, the number of volunteers at TIFF is outstanding. It felt like the entire festival logistics when we were at Roy Thompson Hall were coordinated by volunteers....a great way to see the films and see the stars up close and personal...

Overall supah good movie, supah fun party.

S.

No comments: