Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How to be a documentary film-maker in T.O. part II:

Teach yourself how to make a movie.

So, like I said before, I want to get into documentary media. Last summer I borrowed a couple of camcorders and started to make a movie about the Annex. It was really fun, and most of it was on the fly (no real storyboard, thesis question, plan of any sort). Thus the movie made itself with the footage that I took- and came together in the editing process....
I spent about 50 hours editing it with IMOVIE at a media lab. I only just finished it and in haste (It could have used a bit more editing!) and screened it for some special folk on our patio on Friday. In the process, I learned a lot about what not to do in movie-making. First off, heads up about the audio (it's definitely not always clear). But, with my new knowledge and new skills I'm now looking to learn how to use a professional camera and final cut pro software for a reasonable fee. If you have any leads let me know.

This summer, e & I are going to make a movie; purely fiction. We've started writing a screen-play, so stay tuned. Email us at but.good.different@gmail.com if you want to get involved in anyway (fundraising, extras, plot feedback, promotion). We're also on the lookout for a couple of male actors.

Anyways, I hope that you enjoy it. Thanks again to everyone who agreed to be interviewed! To view the private video below through vimeo, click on the link below and enter the password: Annex

Thanks for the support kids.

S.

Bathurst- from Bloor to Dupont from butgooddifferent on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fantastic start to becoming a documentary film maker Sehr! It is a fun, authentic and engaging video. You did a very impressive job of editing the content and adding music. Congratulations! love, Sanam :)

ExposedRedBrick said...

Congrats, this is adorable!! I'm so impressed with the hard work and even more touched by the focus on the Annex, best hood EVER!

Laura Shugar said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this movie is amazing!!!