Monday, December 8, 2008

Saturday, December 6th- My missed connection:

I think you got on at Wellesley station. I don’t remember- I was lost in thought. You were sitting across from me only seconds later. After a while you caught my eye and definately smiled. To my surprise, I smiled back. Normally I can’t muster up the courage to return a smile or meet another’s intent gaze- I’m shy. But I had just indulged in two glasses of white wine.

The thing is, I have seen you before. The first time I saw you, you were also on the subway sitting right across from me. I think that time you actually got off at Wellesley station. Coincidence? I had recognized your maroon cap, as I had wondered if your pretty head was shaven underneath. I admit I checked out your butt both times when you stood up to exit the subway doors. Your jeans were kind of tight. Between tight jeans and Wellesley station, it did cross my mind you might like boys.

But I could have sworn your smile was flirtatious. Maybe you like girls too? When we got off at Queen station, you walked up the stairs beside me, glancing over. We waited for the streetcar beside one another; you arranged yourself to stand next to me. It was snowing.

Some teenagers were shouting shrill-like a couple of blocks to our left. It caught my attention. You noticed this and made a joke about how some kids are still celebrating Halloween. You mentioned something about too much sugar. It was kind of cute. Your eyes were brown.

I got onto the Queen streetcar heading East, looking forward to another exchange of glances, words. All the while thinking you were going to get on too.

But alas, when the doors closed behind me, you weren’t there.

S.

2 comments:

strasmark said...

This is very sweet. You should talk to him next time. Worst that can happen is an awkward conversation. Unless he's a jerk, in which case you might feel obligated to avoid that bus route in the future.

j. said...

your best entry to date.